Lorenzo apologises to team for Czech error

Sunday, 16 August 2009

A third DNF of the season for Jorge Lorenzo was a costly mistake in the Czech Republic and the Spaniard apologised to his crew after the race.

Aiming to keep the pressure on Valentino Rossi at the head of the standings on Sunday in the Czech Republic Jorge Lorenzo found the Italian in unstoppable form during the race and it was the young Spanish rider who slipped up first as he lowsided at turn three with five laps remaining.

Two DNFs in two rounds for Lorenzo have seen him slide 50 points adrift of his illustrious colleague in the standings after an intriguing championship battle this year and the feeling that this could be the turning point in another Rossi success story was undeniable at Brno.

Lorenzo ruefully commented, “I got a bad start and had to get by some people, and then I just didn’t have the same pace that I’d had all weekend. I was slower than in the practices and it really wasn’t what I was expecting. Unfortunately for me Valentino was just as strong as he’d been all weekend and I had to push very, very hard to stay with him. Towards the end I began to close the gap and after I passed him I was doing everything to stay in front, but then I made a mistake and crashed.”

He modestly added, “There’s nothing more I can say except that I’m so sorry to the team and to Yamaha and I will do everything I can to make it up in America.”

Daniele Romagnoli, Lorenzo’s Team Manager contributed his perspective, meanwhile, as he stated, “It will be another important lesson for Jorge and we are confident that he will learn from it continue to be just as fast and to keep improving. He’s got many more races to show his potential so now we will get back to work with a day’s testing tomorrow and make sure we’re in the best shape possible for Indianapolis.”